- Use sturdy boxes when packing heavy or fragile items. Pack them to the top for strength.
- Wrap dishes and glassware in bubble wrap or paper to provide cushioning in case of accidents.
- Label the general contents on your box including the room it came from or is going to – and label on all sides.
- Stack, Stack, Stack! Heavy items go on the floor, followed by lighter smaller items. To avoid scratching furniture when stacking, lay a towel or sheet between items.
- Be sure you can still lift boxes after filling them. You don’t want to make them too heavy to carry or unstable from the weight, about 50# limit.
- Avoid awkward shaped boxes. These are hard to move around and stack efficiently. The boxes sold at storage facilities are sized as to “nest” together, taking up less room.
- Leave space around the perimeter to aid ventilation. Do not lean items against walls. Leave a walkway to the rear of your space for easy access. Use all of the available space, including the height and place frequently used goods near the door.